In 2023, the crypto industry began with post-FTX fallout such as Operation Chokepoint 2.0, the failures of banks serving the crypto industry and the SEC’s Wells Notice against Coinbase.
Meanwhile, Bitcoin Ordinals brought innovation to the Bitcoin network, while Ethereum’s Shanghai upgrade introduced new functionalities.
The criminal trial of Sam Bankman-Fried was the dramatic climax of the year, as lawmakers’ concerns about crypto being used for terrorist financing brought crypto into the mainstream conversation. The year ended with Binance’s substantial settlement with the U.S. government and spot Bitcoin ETFs in the horizon, ushering in what looks like the beginnings of another bull market.
Thank you to our sponsors!Episode Transcript
- 7 Revelations From Celsius’ Examiner Report
- Why the Celsius Examiner Report Shows ‘a Complete Disaster in Almost Every Way’
Operation Chokepoint 2.0
- Coinbase’s Top Lawyer Calls SEC Wells Notice a ‘Massive Overreach’
- Just a Coincidence? Coinbase and Polygon Lawyers See Bad Omens in SEC Crackdown
- Bitcoin Ordinal NFTs Are Hot and Getting Hotter. What’s the Hype About?
- Bitcoin’s Daily Transaction Fees Surpass Ethereum’s for First Time Since 2020
Signature, Silvergate, SVB, USDC depeg
Investopedia: What Happened to Silicon Valley Bank?
- The Chopping Block: Was Crypto Just Debanked?
- Why Caitlin Long and Meltem Demirors Are Worried About Crypto’s Future in the US – Cryptocurrency
- SEC Issues Coinbase a Wells Notice
- Rep. Emmer on Why He Believes Gary Gensler Is a ‘Bad-Faith Regulator’
The Verge: Silvergate has collapsed
Ethereum’s Shanghai upgrade
- Shapella in the Rearview: After Major Upgrade, What’s Next for Ethereum?
- Staked Ethereum Withdrawals Enabled As Shanghai Upgrade Goes Live
- Prometheum and Paradigm in Debate: Can the Status Quo Work for Crypto
- These 2 Crypto Trading Platforms Agree With SEC Chair Gary Gensler
- Crypto Community Unearths Questionable History of SEC-Aligned Prometheum – Cryptocurrency Regulation
SEC vs. Binance and Coinbase
- SEC Files 13 Charges Against Binance Including the Mishandling of Funds, Sale of Unregistered Securities
- SEC Sues Coinbase for Breaking Securities Laws
- SEC Sues Binance, Coinbase: ‘This Is Not the End of Crypto in the United States’
- New Order in SEC vs. Ripple Over XRP Is a Win for Crypto: What Happens Now?
- The Chopping Block: Jake Chervinsky on How the SEC Has Lost Credibility
- Grayscale Wins Lawsuit Against SEC Over Denial of Bid to Convert GBTC Into a Bitcoin ETF
- Does Grayscale’s Win Against the SEC Mean a Spot Bitcoin ETF Will Be Approved?
- Why a Spot Bitcoin ETF Will Probably Launch No Later Than January 10
- How Much Money Will Flow Into Bitcoin ETFs? Here’s One Projection
- Why Financial Advisors Are So Excited About a Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Market Forecaster Raoul Pal Says There’s a Good Chance Bitcoin Will Hit $100K-$200K in 2024
- Why Swan CEO Cory Klippsten Is Still Convinced That Bitcoin Is Headed to $1 Million
- How Heated Sidebars During the SBF Trial Could Impact the Jury’s Decision
- SBF’s Lawyers Annoy Judge Kaplan, While Wang Reveals Alameda’s Special Privileges
- Sam Bankman-Fried Trial: Here’s Everything That Happened So Far
- Did Sam Bankman-Fried Have Intent to Defraud FTX Investors?
- A 20+ Year Sentence? Why the Evidence Against SBF Was Too Hard to Overcome
Terrorism in crypto
- How Binance Will Open All Its Activity to the U.S. Government
- Binance to Pay $4.3B Penalty to Resolve U.S. DOJ Criminal Investigation; Changpeng Zhao Resigns, Pleads Guilty to Money Laundering Charges
Li’s Newsletter: Lessons on Points Programs for Crypto Apps