The trial of Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder and former CEO of bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange FTX, is set to begin on October 3. The 31-year-old is accused of committing wire fraud and conspiracy to commit other types of fraud, in relation to the dramatic collapse of his crypto empire last year, which led to billions in losses. Nik De, CoinDesk’s managing editor for global policy and regulation, discusses the importance of jury selection, the potential testimony of key witnesses, and how many years Bankman-Fried may face if he is found guilty.
- Why SBF’s lawyers keep requesting the FTX founder be released
- Why the jury selection is so important and how long it could take
- Why the DOJ opposed the proposed questions for the jury
- Why the Judge agreed with the DOJ in blocking some of the witnesses proposed by the defense team
- How the defense team may try to discredit some of the proposed witnesses
- Whether the argument of SBF receiving “poor legal advice” holds any ground
- What role the political donations made by SBF may play in the trial
- How many years SBF could face if he were to be found guilty
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Nik De, CoinDesk’s managing editor for global policy and regulation
- Previous appearances on Unchained:
Previous coverage from Unchained on Sam Bankman-Fried and FTX:
- Why FTX Might Try to Claw Back Funds From Retail Customers
- The Chopping Block: Was FTX a Scam From the Very Beginning?
- How Much Prison Time Is FTX’s Sam Bankman-Fried Facing?
- Why the Legal Process for FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried Could Take Years
- The Chopping Block: SBF Wants to Win in the Court of Public Opinion. Will He?
- Jesse Powell and Kevin Zhou on How FTX and Alameda Lost $10 Billion
- Did the Bahamian Government Direct SBF and Gary Wang to Hack FTX?
- The Chopping Block: Why Lenders Didn’t Liquidate Alameda When It Was Underwater
- Erik Voorhees and Cobie on Why FTX Loaned Out Customers’ Assets
- The Chopping Block: FTX: The Biggest Collapse in the History of Crypto?
- Sam Bankman-Fried on How to Prevent the Next Terra and 3AC
SBF’s defense team motions:
- Judge Denies Sam Bankman-Fried’s Request for Temporary Release
- U.S. Department of Justice Opposes Sam Bankman-Fried’s Latest Move for ‘Temporary Release’
- Sam Bankman-Fried Can Use an ‘Air-Gapped’ Laptop in Court, Judge Rules
- Judge Blocks Sam Bankman-Fried’s Proposed Witnesses From Testifying
- SBF’s Expert Witnesses Barred From Testifying at Trial
- Who is Caroline Ellison, a key witness set to testify against Sam Bankman-Fried?
- All of Sam Bankman-Fried’s Proposed Expert Witnesses Should Be Barred From Testifying: DOJ
- Sam Bankman-Fried is being sent to jail after a judge revoked his bail over alleged witness tampering
- Sam Bankman-Fried Can Ask DOJ Witnesses About Drug Use
- Sam Bankman-Fried’s political donations can be surfaced in trial, rules judge