In this weekly recap, we cover:
- The $81.5 million Orbit Chain hack, linking the crime to the notorious Lazarus group, and sparking intense investigation efforts by Orbit Chain with Korean authorities.
- Ethereum’s cofounder, Vitalik Buterin, updating the 2024 roadmap with a focus on scalability and privacy, in a nod to Ethereum’s original decentralized ethos.
- A development in the FTX saga as U.S. prosecutors decide not to pursue a second trial against Sam Bankman-Fried, with sentencing set for late March.
- Binance’s Changpeng “CZ” Zhao being denied permission to travel abroad by a U.S. judge, intensifying legal scrutiny as he awaits sentencing.
- The IRS enforcing new rules requiring reporting of crypto transactions over $10,000, raising concerns over privacy and compliance challenges.
- A temporary depegging of Circle’s USDC stablecoin on Binance, linked to a wider market sell-off and uncertainty over a Bitcoin ETF’s future.