Unchained is looking for a senior editor to assign and edit daily news stories, as well as work on features and other editorial projects as needed, as we expand from primarily a podcast platform to a newsroom producing articles, videos, newsletters and more. The senior will help support and iterate the executive editor’s vision for what a daily news operation at Unchained can be, and how it can contribute to daily crypto news coverage in a way that is still impactful compared to more comprehensive coverage from bigger news outlets.
The editor should have experience covering crypto news at a high-quality publication and have a strong sense of what the big stories are in crypto at any given moment. They should be able to efficiently come up with appealing story angles based on these, and also have a strong ability to line edit stories and write compelling headlines and display copy in order to generate traffic.
The ideal candidate will have experience working on different types of content formats such as podcasts, videos, and newsletters, as well as experience helping reporters break news and write exclusives. Additionally, the senior editor should be thoughtful about how to capitalize on the eight-year archive of Unchained content that can still be used to comment on current news events or to produce evergreen content.
Senior editor job description
- Assign and edit daily news stories, as well as features, opinion and other content, to small staff of reporters and outside contributors. Will occasionally write news stories as well.
- Respond to story pitches and brainstorm on ideas with rest of staff
- Work on other editorial projects such as podcast write-ups, newsletters, and weekly news recaps as needed
- Be active on social media for story ideas and contacts
- Pay attention to analytics to improve traffic and circulation
- Contribute to utilizing the eight-year archive of Unchained content in current material
Qualifications and Skills:
- 2-3 years assigning and editing crypto news, especially around bitcoin, regulatory issues, and DeFi
- Strong understanding of blockchain technology and crypto industry dynamics
- Strong network of crypto industry contacts to vet story ideas and information
- Comfort working in a remote environment using collaborative platforms
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Creative, resourceful, persistent self-starter
Please email [email protected] with the subject line “Senior editor application” with an email about your interest in the job, your experience and your qualifications, as well as a copy of your resume and some examples of your writing and editing.
Unchained is a crypto news website featuring news, educational articles, how-tos, reviews, videos and podcasts founded by crypto journalist and author Laura Shin. Formerly a senior editor at Forbes, she was the first mainstream journalist to cover crypto full-time, and her podcasts and videos have had more than 25 million downloads and views. Known as “your no-hype resource for all things crypto,” Unchained aims to cover the crypto industry from an objective point of view and in a comprehensive way, touching on everything from technical issues and monetary policy to regulation and culture.